Thursday, May 16, 2013

Looking for a Good Read? Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle

I have a confession to make.

I read a book the other night.  As in, an entire book.  As in, cover to cover.  In one sitting.  

It started out innocently enough.  The kids were in bed (finally).  I joyfully -- oh so joyfully! -- pulled out the book that I had been waiting to begin all day.  My husband was out of town.  The house was quiet.  I don't know what happened.  One thing led to another, and there it was 3:30am and I had just read the entire book.



I have never read a book cover to cover in my life.  Ever.  And I love to read, and have devoured many, many books in my lifetime.  There were probably a few times I should have done this. (Like in college...when I should have read a book cover to cover before the test in American Lit, but I opted for the much less wise option of reading about 20 pages and calling it good.  The test?  Not so good.  But I digress...)

This book turned out to be everything I had hoped for and more.  

Yes, it is a story about motherhood.  And yes it is funny (like get out the Depends funny...) and heartfelt (like get out the Kleenex heartfelt...) and everything in between.  I was anticipating that from reading her blog (bigmamablog.com) and from the reviews of the book.  

What I was not anticipating, however, was the beautiful story it was of her daughter, Caroline.  It is truly her story.  What an incredible, immeasurable gift from Mother to Daughter.  It is the story of a journey through Motherhood, yes, but it is also the precious moments and memories of a daughter through her eight years of life to this point.  

The details are vivid, honest and genuine.  It's as if she has defied the rush of time that is childhood -- just for a moment -- and added her own wit and wisdom, and captured it all between the covers of this book.  Her daughter will have those special little moments, written down for her by her Mom, always and forever.  She is a lucky girl indeed.

Because of her warm and funny writing style, I felt like I was talking with a friend while reading her book.  There were so many sections that resonated with me as a Mom, a friend, a woman.  

I know it's a busy time of year.  I know you have soccer practice and spring recitals and piles of grass-stained laundry and graduation open houses and softball games and a million other things on your to do list.  If you do have a few minutes to squeeze in some time for yourself to catch your breath and read, read this book.  If that time won't come until you can steal a day or two at the beach or the pool this summer, then read this book this summer.  

No matter when you get the chance, read this book.  You will, no doubt, be blessed by it.

When you can connect with another Mom who makes you laugh, cry and then laugh some more through the written word alone, You Are a Good Mom.

{Thank you, Kelli, for suggesting this book and this blog.  I have loved them both!}

{These are all my own opinions and my own infatuation with this book.  I didn't get anything for writing this...not even a pair of Green Earrings. I just wrote this because I loved this book, and think you might like it, too! }


*******************************************************************************************************
If you haven't already, be sure to stop by and check out the "You're a Good Mom" page on Facebook.  "Like" it and any new blog posts will be delivered right to your news feed!  Thanks!


2 comments:

  1. I love to read and I used to be an avid reader. I would complete a couple of novels a week. Then...life took over and I can barely finish a magazine article. But I did read this book. One Saturday morning, a few weeks ago, I sat down with the book and a cup of coffee. I expected to read a chapter or two. Needless to say, I finished it in one sitting. And you are spot on with your critique! A great book and a fabulous blog. Isn't it awesome to stumble upon a blogger who you connect with? Speaking of, I want to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving comments. I'm really glad to have found your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the book, too! Amazing how "I'll just read a few pages..." becomes a few chapters becomes the entire book, isn't it?! :)

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs